If you haven’t learned this already, let me tell you. Having the best products creates the best product. Ink is no exception. You really need to have the best ink pads for stamping your handmade cards. Don’t skimp on ink!
What To Look For In Ink Pads For Stamping
It’s true that you can pick up an ink pad at just about any regular hobby store or online craft store. But, all ink pads are not the same. Don’t be fooled into buying a $2.00 pad. It’s just not worth it.
Here are some things you should look for in an ink pad for stamping.
- Colors – You definitely want to have a wide range of colors, but even more important, you want the colors to match your colored cardstock. It makes creating a professional-looking card so much easier when you have matching projects.
- Coverage – When using an ink pad, you only need to tap lightly on the surface with your stamp. If you have to press down further, that’s not a good pad. You could end up with uneven coverage or too much ink.
Types of Ink Pads and When To Use Them
Black Ink Pads
There are a few different black ink pads, and it’s essential to know which one to use when.
- Memento Ink Pad – This tuxedo black ink pad is an excellent general-purpose pad that delivers more beautiful impressions and exceptionally even coverage. It’s important to use this ink whenever you use alcohol markers like the Stampin’ Blends or Copic Markers. This ink is water-based, acid-free, and non-toxic. If you can only afford one ink pad, buy this one first.
- Stāzon Ink Pad – This ink pad comes in black and brown. It is a permanent ink used for stamping images to watercolor. You can also use it to stamp on nonporous surfaces like window sheets, glass, or plastic. Stazon ink is a solvent-based ink, and since it is permanent, you need a special cleaner to remove it from your stamps.
Classic Stampin’ Up! Ink Pads
The Classic Stampin’ Pads are great for everyday stamping. Here are some of the of the many wonderful things that make these ink pads great.
- They are dye-based ink pads, which means they dry quickly.
- The ink is acid-free, which makes them safe to use with photos.
- You get a beautifully clean, crisp image every time.
- The ink pads come in exclusive Stampin’ Up! colors. There is a colored cardstock for every color of ink so this takes the guesswork out of product coordination!
- Classic Stampin’ Pads are designed so the ink pad is stored upside-down when you close the lid. Storing them this way keeps the ink pad moist and ready to go.
- They have a firm foam pad that lasts longer than felt pads.
- They can be re-inked so make sure you purchase an ink refill when you buy your stamp pad.
Versamark is a super ink pad to have for creating some different effects with your stamping.
- You can create tone-on-tone or watermark effects with the Versamark ink pad. When you stamp, the ink looks a few shades darker than the color of the cardstock.
- It’s perfect for resist stamping and heat embossing. Use with Heat Tool to adhere Stampin’ Emboss Powder to stamped images.
- It is acid-free, and there is a refill available.
Finding the perfect ink pads for stamping can be overwhelming but it doesn’t have to be. These ink pads are the only ones you need to create beautiful cards and projects!
Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Click here for a color chart you can download.